View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 4:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Concert reports! 
Administrator

Post Concert reports!
There's probably been a thread for this, but since we have one for discussing/mentioning stuff we're listening to, why not one for stuff we've seen live?

I'll go first. Malmöfestivalen has just begun, on Friday I was COCOROSIE which was kind of cool, the singer who doesn't sound like a cartoon has an amazing voice, and the originality of the whole deal kicks ass. The human beatbox should've stayed at home though, and as mentioned I don't like the cartoon-like voice of the other (who is Coco and who is Rosie?). Good show though. Yesterday was ENTOMBED hich was of course another day at work, but still enough energy to convince the metal-thirsty crowd. Great moshpit, always as fun to see the cops trying to get a grip of it: "it looks violent, so we should intervene... but noone is angry, noone is bleeding, everybody's happy... what gives?" so eventually they left the moshpit (asked by the band to leave the kids alone).

Tomorrow: GHOST. Will they live up to the hype?

August 21st, 2011, 11:57 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Concert reports 2011!
I wish. The only concerts I have been to this year have been outside Denmark, first Ulver/Virus/Zweizz in London and then Inferno. Nothing on the horizon, either.

August 21st, 2011, 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Are you going to Kill-Town Deathfest? I rarely go over to Copenhagen, because of the expensive train tickets (guess that bridge costs a lot), which is dull because of the many great shows over there.

August 22nd, 2011, 1:33 pm
Profile WWW

Whoops, I forgot about this. No, I am not going. I live in Aarhus and taking the train to Copenhagen is also expensive for me. I have only done so four times in the past tens years (Mayhem ~2000, Arcturus post-Symphonies, Enslaved + Audrey Horne, and Enslaved + Sahg recently). The only band I am even familiar with on this year's program is Grave Miasma but I would actually love to see them live and how often they do actually visit Denmark? Probably once in a lifetime.

August 29th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Sorry for my colonialism, I keep forgetting that Denmark is quite a lot more than Copenhagen... A bit screwed up that it's probably faster (35min), easier & cheaper (150 sek there & back again) for me to go there than for you! Will hopefully go see DEATH IN JUNE there in late October.

I'm going to se KILLL tomorrow, featuring members from Single Unit, Jaga Jazzist and many more. Most massive light rig I've seen, seems like the visual equivalent of SUNN0)))... the venue has actually issued a warning for people with epilepsy. Gonna be a hoot.

September 8th, 2011, 6:01 pm
Profile WWW

aVoid wrote:
Sorry for my colonialism, I keep forgetting that Denmark is quite a lot more than Copenhagen... A bit screwed up that it's probably faster (35min), easier & cheaper (150 sek there & back again) for me to go there than for you!

Absolutely. It takes me 3½ hours and costs 290 DKK (with student discount) one way.

I just discovered that I will attend at least one concert this fall. Yob, Dark Castle and Kongh will play here in Aarhus, two weeks from today. I am somewhat familiar with the first two bands and I am looking forward to the show.

September 8th, 2011, 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

I've seen some 30 conerts this year + visited a large festival with post rock, post punk, indie and alt music, but haven't seen any metal concerts at all, only a local post metal band called Moraines

September 12th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Saw the Norwegian band KILLL the other day, featuring musicians from Single Unit, Jaga Jazzist and other experimental celebrities. It was... fucked up. Like NAPALM DEATH and APHEX TWIN having a seizure in the Black Lodge (Twin Peaks y'know). Hard to describe other than awesome. Unfortunately not too loud, was no problem to stand at the front of the stage without ear plugs (and I'm pretty sensitive about that). But I shook my hair around a bit, afterwards the drummer came up and thanked me because they never get any headbangers (I assume they mostly preach to arty, sophisticated people whose head would fall off even if they tried, ironically). HAh! Glad I could do them a service.

September 12th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Oliver Side pointed me towards some live video of them and all I can say is two things: a) lucky you and b) they really shuold release some album, at least one I guess.

September 12th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Administrator

Yes, I'm glad they appeared here at all; what with the lightning effects (multicoloured strobe!!!), they are almost never able to go anywhere. Apparently the light rig had been borrowed from a theatre, shit figures...!

That venue, Inkonst, has really upped the game this coming autumn. TThis Saturday I'm missing UFOMAMMUT, supported by Morkobot (see my review around here, would be cool to see/hear), and later this season VOID OV VOICES will appear. And others. Sweet.

September 12th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW

Yob, Dark Castle and Kongh played three great shows on thursday. The venue was small, the audience no more than 40 people but it was intense and personal. Yob really deserve praise for being in complete control of the crowd and they closed the gig with Stevie Floyd doing guest vocals on the last song. This triumvirate of performances is the best I have attended here for several years.

September 25th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Not a concert, but a lecture: BILL fucking BRUFORD is visiting my part of the University on Tuesday! Talking about his career and how to succeed as "a creative musician in a commercial world". Since he played on my two absolute favourite prog rock albums (King Crimson - RED and Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE, which you shouldn't live without hearing), I'm pretty damn stoked about this...

November 6th, 2011, 12:44 pm
Profile WWW

I'm definitely thinking of going to Killtown Death Fest this year. If I do we should hook up, aVoid. I'd also recommend the Til Dovre Faller festival, a two day micro festival set in a small hotel in a remote Norwegian village. It's basically like going to a "leirskole" (what's that in English? Haha, I'm tired) only there are no teachers, only great bands, great people and alcohol. I think it's like 150 tickets and it's a bit of travelling but the experience is something else than the usual festival routine and the scenery is beautiful with mountains, moscus etc.. Band wise it's mostly oldschool death / thrash / doom and black metal. Bands booked so far include Obliteration, Occulta, Resonaut etc. Bit of promo there.

I digress. Great concert experiences of 2011?

Swans, Aura Noir and Pentagram, the latter two twice actually. I know, we are spoilt rotten in Oslo. And of course the entire Hole In The Sky festival (RIP). Plus probably other shows I can't think of right now. Oh yes, the Execration release gig at the Unholy metal bar! Excellent show. And the Til Dovre Faller fest obviously.

Playing live with Virus in England, Greece and The Netherlands was also very cool, looking forward to Roadburn!

January 13th, 2012, 12:55 pm
Profile WWW

Einz wrote:
Playing live with Virus in England, Greece and The Netherlands was also very cool

Seeing Virus in London was perhaps the best live experience of 2011. :)

January 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Post Re: Concert reports!
Removed the year in the thread title.

Einar: I saw the first line-up yesterday and was blown away. Have already seen Incantation but sure wouldn't mind seeing them again... and Esoteric! and on and on. Something big has to come up for me to miss that weekend! And I live so nearby I really have no excuse :) Denmark is raising the stakes when it comes to underground metal festivals - the Heavy Days in Doomtown festival looks pretty nice as well! (realize now that it's the same team behind both fests... shoulda figured!)

The Til Dovre Faller fest sounds like a really nice experience. Where in Norway is it?

Top concert experiences of this year... hm, a short list:
ALUK TODOLO (covered by my report here)
VOIVOD (too bad the audience was so incredibly small!)
VOID OV VOICES (heavy!)
CIRCLE w/ ÅRABROT (mind-blowing and hilarious!)
KILLL (even more mind-blowing)
all in Malmö, the last three at the same venue, Inkonst. Arty place that's really shaping up its bookings.

But the greatest live experience was definitely the Russian tour with DERANGED (beyond the Ural mountains damnit!) and the subsequent festival gig in Indonesia (grind all inclusive). Think we had about 3000 heads in the audience, only to be interrupted by the muezzin which in itself was an experience. The 24 hour journey home, incl 10 hours on the airplane toilet not feeling so well, wasn't half as fun. Hah!

January 13th, 2012, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next