View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 8:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Cold.Void.Emanations. - Arrivals and discussion 

Post Cold.Void.Emanations. - Arrivals and discussion
Cold Void Emanations is a small record label/distribution catalog rooted in Black Metal, while embracing many forms of dark music (metal or not) that stray off the usual paths. Despite the large spectrum covered, C.V.E. remains extremely selective and elitist in some ways.

As such, our motto: to bring quality music to the right people.
(Quality and right are for us to define.)

Since AGM is a special site, I thought it wise to drift from the lifeless distro-updates formula with a special topic. This thread will therefore allow me to inform you about the recent arrivals at C.V.E., which will hopefully bring room for discussion and sharing, and ultimately, discovery.

Thank you.

Last edited by jb on January 9th, 2010, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2010, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW

On this first actual post, a very interesting selection:

First off, let me present the latest emanation wrought forth from the Cold Void:

Savnock - Theophany
Savnock is a mysterious two-piece band from the USA, playing a distinctively bleak form of avant-garde Black Metal. Theophany is their sophomore album, showing a departure from the eerie shrilling Black Metal of the debut to venture into more progressive scapes, enhanced by minimal production, where vocalization is sparse, and instrumentation remain technical. Theophany comes on a black disc harboured into a very limited handcrafted sleeve and banderole.
Listen here.

Concerning the distro, I have received today a great pack from our friends at Zeitgeister:

Ekpyrosis - Mensch aus Gold CD
Ekpyrosis is the mysterious one in the Zeitgeister family (when you know the family, it really gives a new meaning to "mystery"). In this debut album, the fireborn Ekpyrosis embraces Black Metal in a unusual way, merging dissonance with harmony in the now-classic Zeitgeister fashion, flirting with post-rock at times, and acutely shagging with progressive at others.
Read a review at AGM here. Listen here.

Gruenewald - Gruenewald Digipak
My first encounter with Gruenewald is a grand one. Towering ambience and peaceful acoustics, German chants, and it's time for a journey.
Read a tongue-in-cheeky review at AGM here. Listen here.

Gruenewald - II CD
A very intense and heavy follow-up to the self-titled, "II" pursues the Journey further into dark woods and swamps, alternating mellow guitar picking with turbulent doomy shapes, backed by earth-opening drums. Great.
Listen here.

Klabautamann - Merkur LP
On Merkur, the servants of the goblin seer show great might and craft in their making of enthralling, progressive and immortal songs, not untouched by a malicious violence. Truly Black Metal Beyond, Klabautamann are a deliciously bleak future. The LP smooths the angles and bring analog in this three-dimensional record.
Read a review at AGM here. Listen here.

Håkan at Total Holocaust Records also contributed to this recent arrival with two of his releases:

Apati - Eufori CD
Apati is one of these swedish younglings who found a liking in utter misery and despondency. They churn out 10 tracks of rock-influenced mid-tempo Black Metal. This opus, while not groundbreaking, is a pleasant listen if you like to linger in minimalistic rock scapes. I sure do.
Listen here.

Crimson - Fading CD
Ah, Crimson. Why am I saying "Ah, Crimson" ? Crimson is unknown, this is its only release, and it sure isn't anywhere close to making a triumphant entrance in the charts. But when you listen to the half-hour long track of calm, soft and soothing acoustic/ambient, and peacefully wander in otherwordly paths, you too will be saying "Ah, Crimson" with a sense of longing and beauty.
Dreams to dust. Reality ablaze. Crimson awakes. Fading.
Listen here.

Finally, courtesy of S.:

Menace Ruine - The Die is Cast CD
After a weird and great demo tape, and their strikingly black "Cult of Ruins" debut, the quebecois wizards cast their opus magnum, a Chtonic tribute of sorts, a masterpiece of avant-dronefolk. I just made that up, but it sounds sweet. The austere voice of Genevieve echoes over the doom and distortion, deepening the hypnotizing texture of the whole. The Die is Cast swims in noisy drones, pagan ritualistic music and overall genius.
Do listen here.

January 9th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Profile WWW

Aluk Todolo - Descension CD
Penetrating into blackscapes. An occult and oppressive blackness engulfs you. Ritual drones sharpen the occasional outbursts of no-wave/black metal, but at all time you are kept in darkness. A journey through the sewers of a malevolent city. Shackled in rusty chains to a wall of black stone, hear the chants from the Doomed.
Listen here.
Nail-hitting review at AMG here.

EgoNoir - Die Saga CD
Spontaneous and straight to the point, EgoNoir's eddic walk is relentless and stubborn. Black Metal.
Listen here.

EgoNoir - Der Pfad Zum Fluss CD
EgoNoir's debut album gains in reflectiveness and atmosphere, offering a rather classic, yet enjoyable, solitary and epic Black Metal. Appeals to those of a somber disposition.
Listen here.

Fäulnis - Gehirn zwischen Wahn und Sinn CD
Putrefaction of the modern world, Fäulnis encompasses many genres, mixing doom, rock, punk and other influences with great craft, to impose a fantastic work of coherent Black Metal. Despaired, malicious, ruthless.
Listen here.

Nachts - GeistesGegenwart MC
Not unlike Fäulnis, Nachts' core is scornful Black Metal-powered, with sparse yet essential additions spicing the whole. Keyboards à la Burzum, fantastic apocalyptic lead guitars, all contribute to making this debut EP an extremely pleasant listen.
Listen here.

January 14th, 2010, 5:13 pm
Profile WWW

I love the design of the Savnock - Theophany album :p

January 14th, 2010, 6:22 pm
Profile WWW

So do I... printer's made a wonderful job. There is also a lyrics inlay inside which is pretty simple, but great as well. Not to mention the music...

January 14th, 2010, 6:34 pm
Profile WWW

the album of Savnock is there to listen. really varied songs that kept me on the spot everywhere I checked, the sound-aesthetics appealled to me. the developement of each part of the album has to be followed throughout in order to comment on the relations within. I hope to listen more, imho "Theophany" will appeal to VBE fans; plus, its influences may include the discipline of classical music. The elements of the songs made me think so.

January 21st, 2010, 9:08 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Where did you hear Theophany, if that's not too indiscreet?

January 22nd, 2010, 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

I listened to Savnock in their myspace once, and I think the album was entirely for streaming there. But the sound quality was crap there so I'll only comment that the vocals didn't fit at all with the music in my opinion but there seemed to be some nice riffs.

January 22nd, 2010, 9:52 am
Administrator

SAVNOCK will be featured here as the Tentakel likes it, too ;-)

January 22nd, 2010, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

yeah, their myspace. the album is in two parts (titles in Latin), but the second is imo streaming divided. will check them out again tonight.

January 22nd, 2010, 1:41 pm

Fair enough, I thought these were only samples.
As for the awkwardness of vocals, I think it's far more suiting to the concept that screams/shrills.
Thanks, T.P.!

January 22nd, 2010, 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

The myspace samples of SAVNOCK, are they the proper mix & master of the album?

January 22nd, 2010, 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

Myspace 96kbps samples. The myspace sound is always reduced.
The actual album has an organic production, or rather lack of production. The sound is good nevertheless, but I guess it's a matter of tastes.

January 22nd, 2010, 7:27 pm
Profile WWW

Narr - Oxymore dans la chrysalide des rêves CD
Hailing from France, Narr evolves in a tiny sphere of its own, bringing metallic rhythmics into play, with a slithering and ever-moving bass (not unlike our German heroes Klabautamann!), supported by Ved Buens Endesque guitars, and surprising vocal harmonies.
Read a review at AGM here.
Listen here.

Portal - Swarth CD digipak
This third opus from this extremely eerie band is one that leaves the listener uncertain; Swarth encompasses both the sharp and horrifyingly brutal aspect of Seepia, and the ambient side of Outre'. A synthesis of sorts. Yet if the formula is now known, its impact still is fantastically bleak. Atonal, void-worshipping Death/Black/Noise for the a-human in man.
Listen here.

Walknut - Graveforests and their Shadows CD
I actually received this one a while ago, but it got lost under piles of CDs and packs... But now it's here to stay. Walknut plays a particularly cold brand of atmospheric Black Metal with a slight heathen edge. Simple, yet classic and beautifully entrancing.
Listen here.

Also, be sure to read Tentakel P.'s excellent review of Gruenewald II here.

January 22nd, 2010, 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Also, be sure to read Tentakel P.'s excellent review of Gruenewald II here.

I have to insist that the laurels go to my dear colleague Thor Wanzek, I just translated it. Although I share his opinion in nearly every aspect ;-)

January 23rd, 2010, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next