View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lets share our adventures 

Post Lets share our adventures
Well I'm starting this thread because it would be nice to have a follow-up to our ever-increasing collection of mostly experimental, fucked-up and so-called avant-garde albums. Personally, I've been on a rush lately and got hold of both Eric Copeland's Hermaphrodite and Black Dice's Load Blown. These are two albums I would recommend to anyone into electronic music but who wants some really strange and out-there compositions.

Whereas Black Dice have gotten kind of more up-tempo with an undeniably weird way to groove sounds together, I'd say that Eric Copeland's solo album is some of the weirdest thing I've heard in quite a while. Its definetly experimental and for the most daring ears. Maybe uneasy at first, after a few listens its however possible to get into his world and its quite well composed, layered and constructed. Its not ambient at all but very exotic, extraterrestrial, animal-loving, tribal, colourful but mostly scary, and first and foremost disconnected, troubled, out of this world!

Apart from that, I've discovered Birchville Cat Motel (same guy behind Black Boned Angel) and Slomo, two ambient drone bands. Much calmer, more ambient, sleeping stuff. I remember people asking for something in the vein of Bohren & Der Club of Gore. Well its maybe not as jazzy as this collective, but Slomo in particular is an exploration of the hypnotic qualities inherent to a deep, oceanic droning bass sound. Pretty cool in my headphones I should say.

For now I'm listening to FOE X FOE and almost dancing in my kitchen while waiting for my girlfriend to come back from work!

November 30th, 2007, 2:41 am
Profile WWW

Hey people, I just bought this new Bad Diana album, The Lights are On but No One's Home. Bad Diana is in fact Diana Rogerson, Nurse With Wound's Steven Stapleton's wife. And wow man... It is her only solo album in 20 years, and I can say that the wait was certainly worth it. It is extremely different from her first album, which was so weirdly aggressive and nerve-testing. She seems to have calmed down. For all fans of ambient, drone-like surrealistic but emotional music, I can't recommand this enough. It has also bungle-grooves parts, a sort of dark mamba ritual dance prog, recital music. Her voice is very touching so to speak. Hard to describe as you can probably tell, but as an old fan of Nurse With Wound, well I must say that this stuff is probably as good, if not better than any of Stapleton's hundreds of releases. That's not a surprise since Stapleton is playing on and producing the record, together with Matt Waldron from irr.app.(ext.). And the inside layout is fantastic, all painted by Diana herself. Please have a try!

Also, Nurse With Wound are going to release their new album in early 2008. That's a must for everyone into surrealism and onirism.

November 30th, 2007, 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

hey check out this site for a lot of out of print stuff...including some really really out there shit (old new-wave/synth punk/metal ect)..check out the kraftwerk sessions here....plus tonnes of other artists

www.eggcityradio.com

he's shared all this shit as zip files right on his server...awesome

December 1st, 2007, 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

December 1st, 2007, 2:01 pm
Profile WWW

Nick Gilder and Plastic Bertrand. Wow, those posts really bring back bad memories of college, cheap beer, thin ties, big hair, pink spandex, lace gloves, ...

some great stuff came from that ear, too.

DEVO!!! Black Flag!! Dead Kennedys. Flipper. Material. Television.

December 1st, 2007, 3:52 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Lets share our adventures
Olivier Côté wrote:
Whereas Black Dice have gotten kind of more up-tempo with an undeniably weird way to groove sounds together, I'd say that Eric Copeland's solo album is some of the weirdest thing I've heard in quite a while. Its definetly experimental and for the most daring ears. Maybe uneasy at first, after a few listens its however possible to get into his world and its quite well composed, layered and constructed. Its not ambient at all but very exotic, extraterrestrial, animal-loving, tribal, colourful but mostly scary, and first and foremost disconnected, troubled, out of this world!

I've found a Black Dice song on last.fm quite some time ago and I forgot them.. thank you for mentioning them, they're awesome! gonna check out those other stuff too.

December 1st, 2007, 11:54 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah sure, Black Dice have not always been my cup of tea so to speak, but with their last two albums (especially Load Blown) they really have captured my imagination. Have a try! By the way, Eric Copeland is part of Black Dice so they're no strangers. First time I heard his music was when he opened for Animal Collective here in Montreal: mostly ambient drone variations and waves, really good! But his Hermaphrodite record is so much more than that.

For the psychedelic, Finnish JAZZ fans:

I discovered Astro Can Caravan and Ektroverde. Large ensembles creating very long jam-like experiments with mesmerizing instrumental lines, including saxophones, all kinds of flutes, noise, mellotron, etc. Astro is more exotic, mysterious, with references to the cosmic eras of Sun Ra and Miles Davis, but of course using a more updated, technological sound. Ektroverde are more borderline post-rock with jazz textures, including members from Verde, Circle and Pharaoh Overlord.

8)

December 2nd, 2007, 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

some recommedned stuff just off the top of my head (most from the 80's)

legendary pink dots - wonderfully outhere but underated band

minute men - crazy ppl who went from punk to post rock-jazz something

ludichrist / scatterbrain - comedy crossover metal but with the added
benefit of virtusoso playing and some killer hilarious songs

suicidal tendencies - how will i laugh tomorrow / controlled by hatred
(2 records showing ST's crazy mix of angry/angsty hardcore, prog-thrash grooves and amazingly heartfelt melodic songwriting,...still sounds unique)

December 3rd, 2007, 2:11 pm
Profile WWW

Saw them live once and wow, that must have been one of the best shows I've ever witnessed. Ka-Spel has an amazing stage presence...

Suleiman: do you know about Ka-Spel's solo works? I ordered his last full-lenght album, Dream Logick Pt. 1, and I'm impatiently waiting for it to come in my mail box!

December 3rd, 2007, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW

And by the way, I refuse to listen to the VIRUS demo songs displayed on their myspace page. Two years ago, I got to hear the DHG demos from 2003 before the actual release of Supervillain Outcast and that ruined my initial pleasure of discovering the official album, because it didn't sound as new and fresh as it should have been. I'm too much excited about Czral creativity to hear it in its half completed actual state!

December 6th, 2007, 2:43 am
Profile WWW

If any one can find any albums from Saccharine Trust, you will be rewarded with a wildly weird experience - most of their material was improvised in the studio and recorded pretty much after a few practice runs - they were one of the early jazz-punk bands, in fact, Mike Watt from the Minutemen played bass on their live album, which was ENTIRELY IMPROVISED.

I don't know if any of their albums are still in print, ... I've tried digging around the internet and can't find anything.

December 13th, 2007, 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]