View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 29th, 2014, 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 REVIEWS 
Administrator

Post REVIEWS
Ok, people we've been writing reviews here, now it's time for you to comment them a bit;)

November 26th, 2007, 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

November 26th, 2007, 11:46 pm
Administrator

the ultimate goal is either reached when a review is better than the reviewed album or the reviewer goes blind

-)

November 27th, 2007, 12:34 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

I didn't get the point of the review of "Det Som Engang Var"...

November 27th, 2007, 10:02 am
Profile WWW

Post Burzum - huh ??
Yeah, I don't get it either -

Are we "trying to be Avant Garde" or just sarcastic/sardonic? It this a good review or bad? Maybe I'm not intelligent or "cool" enough to "get it" ??

Some of Ligano's first reviews like this were amusing, but now I'd really like to hear someone's honest opinion in a straight-forward fashion. Reviews may be entertaining and interesting, but if we are trying to make it an art-form, let's do it so we all actually understand what's going on.

I'm not trying to bust Ligano or his unique stylization of reviews (hey, kudos for originality), but let's actually review the album in the reviews.

... or not??...

November 27th, 2007, 3:45 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Burzum - huh ??
Dimaension X wrote:
Yeah, I don't get it either -

Are we "trying to be Avant Garde" or just sarcastic/sardonic? It this a good review or bad? Maybe I'm not intelligent or "cool" enough to "get it" ??

Some of Ligano's first reviews like this were amusing, but now I'd really like to hear someone's honest opinion in a straight-forward fashion. Reviews may be entertaining and interesting, but if we are trying to make it an art-form, let's do it so we all actually understand what's going on.

I'm not trying to bust Ligano or his unique stylization of reviews (hey, kudos for originality), but let's actually review the album in the reviews.

... or not??...

Thanks for writing exactly what I was thinking about dude;)

I like avantgarde music, but not avantgarde reviews. Expecially the Burzum one, in my opinion is simply meaningless. And it's not, you know, a new album from an unknown band that you can piss on it so quickly! It's a classic and an important album that needs the right (good or bad) words.

November 27th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Blacklava777 wrote:
(...)
I like avantgarde music, but not avantgarde reviews. Expecially the Burzum one, in my opinion is simply meaningless. And it's not, you know, a new album from an unknown band that you can piss on it so quickly! It's a classic and an important album that needs the right (good or bad) words. (...)

Dimaension X wrote:
(...)
Some of Ligano's first reviews like this were amusing, but now I'd really like to hear someone's honest opinion in a straight-forward fashion. Reviews may be entertaining and interesting, but if we are trying to make it an art-form, let's do it so we all actually understand what's going on. (...)

great feedback. seriously, thanks. some thoughts:
i really like that burzum album (heck, actually everything i know from them and both your words 'important' and 'classic' are probably right) - i am not trying to write reviews on a certain intellectual level, there is a certain (percentage may vary) entertainment (!=avantgardistic or sardonic) part in every review, but that's about it.

i did use the words 'pathetic' and 'sophisticated' in that burzum review for i felt pretty dull (me, not the album) to compare an (highly influental!) album by burzum to one of the most influental paintings/painters of the last millenium. i guess the ultimate experience would be standing in the sistine chapel whilst listening to this album... when it comes to explaining my own reviews i might be worse than describing any given album :)

there is no persistent agenda in my reviews - i might like an album in summer which i deteste in winter and adore in autumn and haven't made up my mind for spring. so i guess i am all about 'liking' and not about 'measuring': when choosing what to review most of the time i pick stuff i like unless explicitly stated. i guess with english not being my first language my preference to use images can be understood.

November 27th, 2007, 5:24 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Administrator

November 27th, 2007, 7:24 pm

I like the Lignano reviews, but I'd also like a more...conventional review of the same albums as well.

November 27th, 2007, 8:41 pm
Administrator

read my reviews, conventional to the core ;)

November 27th, 2007, 8:48 pm
Profile WWW

No disrespect to the man at all intended - creativity is such a great and under appreciated thing today - just turn on your local radio and listen to the crap that is spewed out.

Ligano can keep being ligano (and truly should BE that way...)

... I just may not comprehend his reviews, but that's okay, so long as we get an impression of his intent.

Long live the freaks that we all aspire to be.

Though I do like the straight-forward reviews. If I'm going to (gasp!) spend MONEY on a Cd, I'd really like to know what it "sounds like". Crazy huh? Mainly the "spending money" bit. Naughty, naughty bloggers and their download links.

November 27th, 2007, 11:23 pm
Profile WWW

I personally (and in the name of the Cyberforce) want to thank Mr. Suleiman for his review of "The Delphic Doctrine" and of course the whole staff for such an outstanding website! You rule!
On the other side, I don´t want to see a band like Bu**um supported in any way - I bought this album back in the 90´s (yes, I was young...), but when I found out how a stupid asshole this guy is I actually burnt (yes, I´m not kidding, I put it into the cleaning fires!) this CD. Beside that, this record is pure shit. It may be influental, but no to me. Oh yes, maybe it showed me how I should NOT record an album haha!
So IMO, F.O.A.D. Bu**um and especially Varg.
Of course the same goes to NSBM. :!:

November 28th, 2007, 10:48 am
Profile ICQ WWW

lignano wrote:
Blacklava777 wrote:
(...)
I like avantgarde music, but not avantgarde reviews. Expecially the Burzum one, in my opinion is simply meaningless. And it's not, you know, a new album from an unknown band that you can piss on it so quickly! It's a classic and an important album that needs the right (good or bad) words. (...)

Dimaension X wrote:
(...)
Some of Ligano's first reviews like this were amusing, but now I'd really like to hear someone's honest opinion in a straight-forward fashion. Reviews may be entertaining and interesting, but if we are trying to make it an art-form, let's do it so we all actually understand what's going on. (...)

great feedback. seriously, thanks. some thoughts:
i really like that burzum album (heck, actually everything i know from them and both your words 'important' and 'classic' are probably right) - i am not trying to write reviews on a certain intellectual level, there is a certain (percentage may vary) entertainment (!=avantgardistic or sardonic) part in every review, but that's about it.

i did use the words 'pathetic' and 'sophisticated' in that burzum review for i felt pretty dull (me, not the album) to compare an (highly influental!) album by burzum to one of the most influental paintings/painters of the last millenium. i guess the ultimate experience would be standing in the sistine chapel whilst listening to this album... when it comes to explaining my own reviews i might be worse than describing any given album :)

there is no persistent agenda in my reviews - i might like an album in summer which i deteste in winter and adore in autumn and haven't made up my mind for spring. so i guess i am all about 'liking' and not about 'measuring': when choosing what to review most of the time i pick stuff i like unless explicitly stated. i guess with english not being my first language my preference to use images can be understood.

Ok, thanks alot for your explainings, not it's more clear your point of view. I maybe misunderstood the meaning, but perhaps it's better if in the future you could be a little bit less "cryptic", cuz reading (sorry, watching) your review I thought that you liked only the last song, or something like that.

November 28th, 2007, 12:14 pm
Profile WWW

On the other side, I don´t want to see a band like Bu**um supported in any way - I bought this album back in the 90´s (yes, I was young...), but when I found out how a stupid asshole this guy is I actually burnt (yes, I´m not kidding, I put it into the cleaning fires!) this CD. Beside that, this record is pure shit. It may be influental, but no to me. Oh yes, maybe it showed me how I should NOT record an album haha!

mmm, I don't think that an album must be burned for the motives you told.. I usually throw away albums that MUSICALLY are crap. I really don't give a fuck if Burzum is a Nazi/NSBM supporter/piece of shit. If the music is good, is good, I cannot lie to myself.
Expecially cause If you have to burn all the albums recorded by killers, nazi supporters, or bad dudes...I think you have to take the 80% of the musically good black metal discography.

I ask myself what you did to de mysteriis DOM sathanas, with burzum on bass, his accomplice in the murder Snorre Ruch, and the nazicommunist Euronymous...maybe dissolved in the acid? ;)

November 28th, 2007, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

D.Mon wrote:

mmm, I don't think that an album must be burned for the motives you told.. I usually throw away albums that MUSICALLY are crap. I really don't give a fuck if Burzum is a Nazi/NSBM supporter/piece of shit. If the music is good, is good, I cannot lie to myself.
Expecially cause If you have to burn all the albums recorded by killers, nazi supporters, or bad dudes...I think you have to take the 80% of the musically good black metal discography.

I ask myself what you did to de mysteriis DOM sathanas, with burzum on bass, his accomplice in the murder Snorre Ruch, and the nazicommunist Euronymous...maybe dissolved in the acid? ;)

I do not own this album... :wink:
Of course it´s difficult to sort out albums that are "clean", especially in the Black Metal and/or Pagan Metal genres - but hey, if I do a review or an interview with a band which seem to me not clear if they are NS or whatever, I ask them personally before I do anything to get a real statement - since I and TRISTWOOD/INZEST strongly support Metalheads against Racism dot org.
Anyway, it´s sad that we have to do this, but for me it´s absolutely clear to do that, even it´s hard work sometimes.

November 28th, 2007, 1:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 260 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next