View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 7:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Series 
Administrator

Post Series
We have a movie thread which I didn't want to hijack since I believe series´and movies to different enough to be treated separately.

So lately being a huuuuuge fan of The Big Bang Theory and new Spartacus series (Blood and Sand and Gods Of The Arena). The sex is a bit too much sometimes but hey, story, characters, action and plot are awesome!

The Big Bang Theory is just brilliant especially if your knowledge of sciences is enough to understand it all. It's pure genius!

Since I always dreamed of becoming a special forces operative before they said my eyes made me useless I of course grew really fond of The Unit which of course is completely inaccurate on so many levels but for some reason really addictive :) Too bad they stopped it really...

March 9th, 2011, 12:45 am
Administrator

I find Big Bang Theory slightly... annoying. But it's good fun, better than most sitcoms. Mostly because of Penny, though. I like her. How I Met Your Mother is also an OK sitcom. But besides Seinfeld, sitcoms rarely go beyond OK...

Hardly follow any series, it's too much for me to be expected to sit down once a week at the same time, to actually remember what channel etc! And frankly, most shows aren't good enough. Saw an episode of House MD yesterday, that show was good but now it's turning into the same pretentious bollocks that Criminal Minds is made of. "We know a LOT of stuff, and we have to tell each other everything we know all the time".

No, TV's utmost highlight was and will be Twin Peaks.

March 9th, 2011, 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Twin Peaks is the peak of series to reach, still nowadays, indeed.

But there are (have been) several sitcoms to mention and some other series.

I've recently enjoyed the Sherlock series, set in modern times, nice characters and the cases are ok, but 1/2 hour long episodes and only three until a year later are its flaws if you ask me.

On the sitcom side, apart from The Big Bang Theory which I'm a fan of too (mostly the two or three first seasons, it's turning all the same now), I have enjoyed quite A LOT recently The Young Ones, definitely better than Bottom, which also features Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson, but it's also very cool. Really, they have some years, but Twin Peaks has, too. Check them out, starting with The Young Ones because it is oh so good (also very short, both of them).

- Neil, oh Neil, what are you doing, Neil, to make a meal? Neil??? Surreal!

March 9th, 2011, 10:59 am
Administrator

I agree on the series losing their edge after 2 or 3 seasons as in the case of the big bang theory and especially house md!

I never watch them on TV, I am always lucky enough to borrow the DVDs from friends and watch it all in one go :)

March 9th, 2011, 11:26 am

I am currently watching Twin Peaks again and I can see that Dødheimsgard and I are not the only ones who enjoy it. :)

Family Guy is my favourite comedy series. I love it. It is wonderful.

I also have to recommend BBC's Bleak House. It is just one "season", of course, as it follows the book.

If you want something from 2005 that looks like it was made in 1984 and makes fun of the 80s to no end, try Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

March 9th, 2011, 11:44 am
Profile WWW

Paranoia Agent by Satoshi Kon and Bored to Death by Jonathan Ames.

March 10th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

For those who like it out there and downright strange, aka avant-garde, I also suggest FLCL: The Complete Series. It's been said many times to be the most insane series ever hehe, but it's up to you to decide anyway.

March 10th, 2011, 7:48 pm
Profile WWW

Yet another otherwordly series, The Kingdom by Lars Von Trier.

March 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Yes, RIGET! Best piece of Scandinavian tv ever made. Horrifying!

One science fiction series I was in the 90's was Cold Lazarus. Dystopian and pretty strange (for a young me at least). Last time I checked BBC wanted to release it on DVD, but I think there was some trouble concerning rights, because the creator of it had passed away and the estate didn't want to, or sth similar.

Family Guy is one show that's actually becoming better and better for every season. It's not just lame satires & goofy cut-scenes all the time; guess the manatees aren't composing scripts anymore... =D

March 10th, 2011, 8:27 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Sopranos is a great show. Guess it did for TV in the 00's what Twin Peaks did for the 90's. Mad Men is also nice. Enjoyed West Wing too.

And I'm really glad that 2½ men is crumbling. The world will be a better place without it.

March 10th, 2011, 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

...and for the love of God and Satan, do avoid the US version of von Trier's Riget - it's called Kingdom Hospital I think, directed by Stephen King (the horror!); it's bloody abysmal. In the worst way.

March 10th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Profile WWW

...and for the love of God and Satan, do avoid the US version of von Trier's Riget - it's called Kingdom Hospital I think, directed by Stephen King (the horror!); it's bloody abysmal. In the worst way.

I agree, it's strongly suggested to watch Von Trier's original and to avoid this remake. Craig R. Baxley directed the "Kingdom Hospital" miniseries, like he did so with "Storm of the Century" and "Rose Red", all written by King, and all to be avoided as well hehe.

March 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

All right, not King directing then! Doesn't make it better though, haha! Guess the only reason for von Trier to condone it was $$$.

Two good and slightly disturbed drama-comedies that are highly recommendable: United States of Tara and Nurse Jackie. Especially Tara.

March 11th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

And I'm really glad that 2½ men is crumbling. The world will be a better place without it.

Couldn't agree more. What a useless piece of stereotypical garbage!

March 15th, 2011, 12:57 am
Administrator

The funny thing is that no-one seems to like it. It's just popular without a cause. I liked Sheen as Topper Harley in the Hot Shots movies, but that's it.

March 15th, 2011, 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next