View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Drum & Bass 
Administrator

Post Drum & Bass
A thread to discuss the, imho, most awesome electronic music genre. When I go to a party playing D&B nothing can hold, it's as if its waves helps expressing usually unexpressed parts of my DNA and just makes me go insane!!!

Never doubled its effects with drugs, but I sure would love to, but only with supervision from experienced friends.

Your thoughts?

Edit: I actually just got into it so if you have cool suggestions of mixes to check out, hit me!

March 8th, 2010, 9:22 pm

D&B is now such a vast genre that there are as many D&B styles as there are innovative artists toying with D&B. Tell me what your favorite artists are at the moment and I might come up with a few suggestions. It's hard to suggest this or that artist to someone, without knowing what s/he likes.

March 9th, 2010, 12:13 am
Profile WWW

I personnally only know Slipknot's DJ (DJ Starscream) ...

Apparently it's him here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DFkEn_90EY

March 9th, 2010, 1:25 am
Profile WWW

You've maybe done that already, but I think the Wikipedia about D&B is very well documented. When you start liking a genre, it's always useful to learn a bit more about its history and variations in time. You will also be introduced to the famous dispute among fans about the differences between D&B and Jungle.

March 9th, 2010, 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

I never understood the difference between d&b and jungle. But I like it, in general. The fast "dum-dum-da dugga-dugga-dum-da" thing. It's like d-beat. It's never enough.

I like doomcore and terrorcore. But that's just me. And it's bloody hard to find, since the hard/speedcore thing is too obnoxious; I prefer it a little more cinematic, heavy and dark rather than in-your-face abbrasive (Thunderdome!). Like dubstep played through Blade Runner with beats straightened up.

March 9th, 2010, 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Well I definately like the super spacey yet hard stuff. It's like in metal. I need it epic and full of atmosphere!!!!

TERRORCORE?! :D

March 9th, 2010, 7:20 pm
Administrator

don't ask me to tell the difference between terrorcore and doomcore.
'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorcore
"Terrorcore - refers to more extreme version of 'regular gabber', with a highly aggressive theme, modern tracks using same bass drum sound as nu-style gabber. "
"Doomcore aka Darkcore - Downtempo, characterized by reverb on detuned semi-distorted kicks on eerie synth pads. " - I guess one confusion here might be that some people use the term "doomcore" to refer to doom metal/hardcore crossovers; what normal people would call SLUDGE I guess.

oh wait, suddenly I'm twelve again:
"Happy hardcore is a form of dance music known for its very quick tempo (usually around 165-180 bpm), often coupled with male or female vocals and sentimental lyrics. Popular in the UK, Australia and Spain, amongst other countries. Generally has a large cult following known as "Candy ravers"."

BLAAAARGH

March 9th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Ok, here are some good examples of DOOMCORE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kheB6R9E2W4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsA-qCrlLXU
http://www.myspace.com/diaboliqueshaynecore
I mean, it's bloody cheesy and theatrical. But I think it's cool. Nothing that I listen to too much. It's mostly a revival of my pre-metal interest in European rave, like Members of Mayday, Dune, Peanut Planet etc. I was always so fascinated by the strange spaced-out sounds; the music sounded like SNES games looked.

Very weird culture, this techno/post-rave stuff. Gotta love the dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfSIcx1YgVE - horrible music too.

March 9th, 2010, 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

Since aVoid did it, I felt like I could do it too... Here you have some very classic names from the genre. You wrote, "Well I definately like the super spacey yet hard stuff. It's like in metal. I need it epic and full of atmosphere!!!!". Let me know what you think. This stuff is super spacey and super hard. It's only a VERY small selection from these guys' careers, I mean altogether they have probably more than 50 albums worth of ecstatic D&B music. These guys give meaning to this sentence, taken from Wikipedia: "Despite the apparent simplicity of drum and bass productions to the untrained ear, an inordinate amount of time is spent on preparing tracks by the more experienced producers." The 5 artists I have chosen are one-man bands and most definitely are among the 'experienced' class of producers. For instance, the Amon Tobin tracks are priceless. That guy knows how to groove, unlike many metal bands using drum machines.

Squarepusher - Ultravisitor

Squarepusher - Plotinus

Squarepusher - The Exploding Psychology

Planetarium - Squarepusher

Amen Andrews (Luke Vibert) - Junglebunny

Amen Andrews vs Spac Hand Lewis - Screwface

Amen Andrews (Luke Vibert) - Evil Rave

Venetian Snares - Einstein-Rosen Bridge

Venetian Snares Epidermis

Venetian Snares - Második Galamb

Venetian Snares - Hajnal

Venetian Snares - Donut

Venetian Snares - Duffy

Aphex Twin - Cock Ver

Aphex Twin - Ziggomatic 17

Amon Tobin Golfer vs Boxer

Amon Tobin - Get Your Snack On

Last edited by Oliver Side on March 10th, 2010, 12:47 am, edited 15 times in total.

March 9th, 2010, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW

Very weird culture, this techno/post-rave stuff. Gotta love the dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfSIcx1YgVE - horrible music too.

Calling this music horrible is being nice with it. YUK!

March 9th, 2010, 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

Lifted from the album Supermodified. A little gift to those reading this thread... David, let me know what you think! I find this track very spiritual and entrancing. Meditative D&B tribal techno, or something. The textures truly come alive. It's almost like a digitalized didgeridoo. I wonder if a Tibetan like you feels the same. Everyone else, share your impressions!

March 10th, 2010, 12:36 am
Profile WWW

Little bit off-topic, but Architect just released new album.

http://www.myspace.com/architectmusic

You should check out, same like new Autechre, if could be mentioned within d&b thread...

March 10th, 2010, 1:21 am

Thanks! Listening now, sounds great. Cool dark futuristic aesthetics.

Architect - Beauty and the Beat

March 10th, 2010, 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Wow holy shit!!! So much to check out and no headphones with me at school!

Thanks Olivier, I will hopefully be able to listen through this tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think!!! Merci beaucoup :-)

March 10th, 2010, 1:07 pm
Administrator

Amon Tobin's Rhino Jockey (2000)

Lifted from the album Supermodified. A little gift to those reading this thread... David, let me know what you think! I find this track very spiritual and entrancing. Meditative D&B tribal techno, or something. The textures truly come alive. It's almost like a digitalized didgeridoo. I wonder if a Tibetan like you feels the same. Everyone else, share your impressions!

Woooooah dude this is truly enchanting!!!!!! Pretty much PRECISELY what I was looking for!!!

As a tibetan, that's funny actually because that tune reminds me a lot of the pujas (ceremonial practices) that I participated in so far.

I also listened to some of the others. I guess I am still more in the phase of more straight forward drum & bass. Venetian Snares is taking a bit too long for my present taste.

March 10th, 2010, 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next