View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 One-man bands live... 

Post Re: One-man bands live...
Valenten wrote:
Just a random question, maybe this topic will stay blank (though I hope it won't haha ^^)

well, do you know one-man bands playing live ? Most of those I know use other musicians (Nargaroth...). But I wanted to know if you have heard of uncommon ways of playing live for such musical projects..

I hope my question is clear ^^,

If you've got some ideas, it'd be great too... I'm thinking about my own musical project.

Cheers, Val
(I'm sick & tired so please forgive my grammary mistakes, if any)

Every or almost every noise artist is a one-man band. Same goes for most electronica. You could learn a few tricks from these different scenes, when it comes to playing live alone. Nadja is a great example from metal: they are two, but on stage, he really is alone doing everything except for the bass which is played by his girlfriend. So he's playing with all sorts of looping devices and pedals. And after a while, you feel like there are 20 guitarists on stage, 15 keyboarders and a few samplists. I don't think there is any technical limit as to play live alone, in 2010, except if your music really needs a drummer.

March 5th, 2010, 7:44 pm
Profile WWW

Oh I almost forgot: SINGLE UNIT (out on Jester Records) from Norway has been doing it alone. He plays his guitar, and the rest seems to be either analog modules or other machines and whatnot. Examples of live playing:

Single Unit playing at Borealis 07

Live

Single Unit | NYC @ Glasslands | Nov 23 2008

The last one is interesting because it lets you see how his sounds are played.

March 7th, 2010, 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

I played with my noise/power electronics project last weekend. I made do with only one walkman backdrop that I did myself, plus a microphone with a few pedals for feedback, sound effects (scratching against a rock) & vocals. But that was consciously primitive & unsophisticated, I wouldn't understand how to use a loop machine.

March 7th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

@Oliver > thanks for your posts ;) Single Unit is cool, I liked it...

@aVoid > oh, cool, do you have some videos online or so ?

--

Here's a link I've found about one-man bands. Rather interesting, though a bit off-topic.

http://www.gearwire.com/ben-londa-exit- ... -band.html

March 7th, 2010, 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2