View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Noise appreciation thread 

Ok, thank you. I'll check some at home, but I think it may be too noisy for my ears.

Noise was 'too noisy' for all of us noise fans in the beginning. No one was born with an inclination toward noise music. It's an acquired taste, you have to work your way into it. For me it's the most avant music out there, so naturally you have to forget about what you think you know, musically speaking, when you listen to noise. It's something else. Entirely. And yes, noise can be BEAUTIFUL and MESMERIZING.

I find it hard to suggest noise artists, because everyone has his/her own favorites. Some like it more melodic than others, some darker than others, etc. etc. There are as many noise forms as there are many forms of music in every genre. My only advice is: read reviews and interviews on the internet, listen to songs and try to find what you might like by yourself.

Last edited by Oliver Side on January 14th, 2010, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 14th, 2010, 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

"..you have to forget about what you think you know, musically speaking, when you listen to noise. It's something else. Entirely."

:)

this whole thread and especially your words Mr. O. Side have opened a door to a whole new world for me.

THANKS !

January 14th, 2010, 10:25 pm
Administrator

Well, it's not as difficult as I was thinking... at least the vids aVoid posted. Well, the finns one I didn't watch at all. I "enjoyed" the most out of the Death Industrial ones, Brighter Death Now immediately made me think of MZ412 (I listened to an album by them a lot of years ago), and recognised some italian words on Atrax Morgue... but that's mainly all. Genocide Organ is more listenable than the others, but still that kind of sounds with the screaming voices is not for me right now.

It made me think also of Inminent Starvation, do you know them? Is that music considered as some kind of noise music, too? I don't listen to them for years, just playing them now. Yeah it sounds quite "noisy" to me, but it has more "rythm" than what you posted.

Anyway I think that PE and Death Industrial is not for me at the moment, will keep searching for other types of electronic music. Thanks!

January 14th, 2010, 11:00 pm
Administrator

Brighter Death Now immediately made me think of MZ412

Naturally, itäs like listening to Burzum and be reminded of Xasthur. They are both big names in the Death Industrial genre (though MZ are "Black Industrial" from their Satanism), and BDN's daddy Karmanik released, well, most of what has come from Nordvarg & his buddies (MZ, Folkstorm, etc etc etc).

January 14th, 2010, 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Yeah, when you said that the BDN man was the owner of Coldmeat I was already thinking of them, among some more folky bands like Arcana and such.

Well, this is Inminent Starvation: http://www.myspace.com/tentack
I'm listening to the Human Dislocation album, and I'm enjoying it. This is for me, but this is more "musical" to put it in one word, than PE and such. It has rythms most of the time, but I think you could enjoy it, too. In discogs I read that this project is labelled "power noise".

January 14th, 2010, 11:09 pm
Administrator

CMI was actually a good label back in the days, he released for example three albums from INSTITUT and some IRM, both of whom are Sweden's best PE bands. But he's got a family to feed so easy-going stuff like ARCANA, RAISON d'ETRE, ORDO ROSARIUS EQUILIBRIUM generates more cash.

Power Noise is, I guess, very distorted techno. IMMINENT STARVATION sounds nice, a bit IDM-ish. Have you heard WINTERKÄLTE? Very good stuff, heavier than Imminent but still rhythmical and, in a sense, harmonic. Or at least structured.

You've got spotify right Adryuu? You should try EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN, a classic German band. Their last 20 years are maybe not Industrial, but listen to Tabula Rasa (esp. Headcleaner), Kollaps and Strategies Against Architecture III (they're all on spotify). Harsh metal-bashing and homemade instruments meet a very German poetic minimalist pop-sensibility. The band that got me into harsher sounds. As Olivier said, you have to start easy :)

January 14th, 2010, 11:32 pm
Profile WWW

Yellow Swans' "At all ends" is one of the most melodic noise albums I own... Tim Hecker as well. Axolotl's "Telesma" is one of the most beautiful noise albums I own... In the scene aVoid describes, I would add Henrik Nordvargr Björkk aka NORDVARGR, VARGR, TOROIDH, etc. His solo albums are those that I prefer. My roomate is his biggest fan so I get to hear most of his projects. The last VARGR's Maria Orsic trilogy, he told me, is some of the best HARSH noise he's ever heard. The whole concept around the trilogy is extraterrestrial.

January 15th, 2010, 1:28 am
Profile WWW

I'm listening to the Human Dislocation album, and I'm enjoying it. This is for me, but this is more "musical" to put it in one word, than PE and such. It has rythms most of the time, but I think you could enjoy it, too. In discogs I read that this project is labelled "power noise".

Maybe you should look into the noise + drum n bass scene (sometimes called drill n bass, breakcore, noisy breakcore, blah blah). Imminent seems to be inspired by abstract drum n bass structures. IDMish as aVoid said, but IDM is not necessarily "in your face" like Imminent. Power noise, you are right, seems to be a considerate genre: Power Noise. According to the description, some early Aphex Twin albums were power noise though. Noise + electronic dance. That's vague at best! hehe. It shows in the bands they quote. For something more fully musical, not cheesy boom-boom but still HARD-hitting and noisy beat, I suggest downLOAD's FURNACE (the reissue would be a must). This is from the so-called "noise beat" era of downLOAD.

You say this project is more "musical" than noise. The power electronics and really harsh and abstract noise music, when it gets rythmical (or "musical" is the way you put it), it has to be a lot more subtle than energetic drum n bass breakcore on a dime action going wild, because the rythms (the "music" you refer to) are inside the noise modulations, fluctuations, vibrations, etc., abstracly hidden among the maze. When you start listening closely to the frequencies, to the "sound" and not the "melody" or the "beat" or the "structure", that's when it gets interesting. That's when you realize that all music is just noise, differently modulated and organized. That's why noise is no less musical than music is noise.

January 15th, 2010, 1:40 am
Profile WWW

January 15th, 2010, 10:02 am
Administrator

Yeah, I knew 'musicality' was not the right way to show the differences, that's why I wrote down the link to myspace. It's all about rythm indeed, the PE rythm is hidden to me while in that example power noise (imminent) it's quite more evident.

I'm glad they mention Esplendor Geométrico in the power noise article in wikipedia. They also mention Combichrist which is one of the bands that got me into more danceable electronica some years ago, but I do not listen much to them nowadays.

I'll try that DownLOAD album you say, as the other albums I've tried have been good to me (especially Effector and one PlatEAU album that is on spotify), and I'll check out WINTERKÄLTE if I find and EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN, just to give another oportunity to the genre. Also this is a music style that wouldn't take much of my music listening time, so I'll be slower this time. Also I'm curious about Yellow Swans and Nordvargr, of course. Thank you both for the recommendations, although I think I'll feel more 'at home' with some kind of IDM yet to discover for me (but that thought doesn't make me less curious about other things anyway).

January 15th, 2010, 10:05 am
Administrator

because the rythms (the "music" you refer to) are inside the noise modulations, fluctuations, vibrations, etc., abstracly hidden among the maze. When you start listening closely to the frequencies, to the "sound" and not the "melody" or the "beat" or the "structure", that's when it gets interesting.

Right. Especially when hearing noise live, the harsher stuff, you find your own rhythms. If you want. Or you can just enjoy the complete lack of control, the complete chaos, which I enjoy more.

Like SEWER ELECTION. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO5ySsc_FCg (know him personally, nice guy!)
or TRERIKSRÖSET. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTv9WLLWKTI (notice the comment from Henrik Björk aka Nordvargr himself, "I like Tommy", that is the guy who's performing.)
or PRURIENT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAw0-lx1gcU
or MASONNA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ejtfbJrHs

January 15th, 2010, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you both for the recommendations, although I think I'll feel more 'at home' with some kind of IDM yet to discover for me (but that thought doesn't make me less curious about other things anyway).

Yeah maybe you should open an IDM thread. The term IDM (intelligent dance music) in itself is so very vague. It's like black metal. It means almost nothing, or something different from one listener to another, which is the same as nothing. I've read many artists considered to be IDM who in interviews will say "What is IDM? I never wanted to be IDM. It's just another journalistic word."

Examples.

In a September 1997 interview, Aphex Twin commented on the 'Intelligent Dance Music' label:

"I just think it's really funny to have terms like that. It's basically saying 'this is intelligent and everything else is stupid.' It's really nasty to everyone else's music. (laughs) It makes me laugh, things like that. I don't use names. I just say that I like something or I don't."

What is interesting is that his own label, Rephlex Records, sell their music as Braindance. I guess he made up that word to make fun of the IDM term.

Kid 606 has said,

"I hate IDM and its elitist champions. It makes the music sound so much more than it actually is. It's a label invented by PR companies who need catchphrases. I like sounds, but hate what people attach to sounds."

Chris Jeffs (Cylob) said, "Also, anyone who applies the term IDM to my music deserves to be shot."

Thaddeus Hermann of City Centre Offices has said:

"Nowadays, I do not like the sound of the term. Whenever someone mentions it, or uses it to describe their own music, I immediately become skeptical, expecting weak and boring tracks.”

Matmos (Perfect Sound Forever) has said,

"I belong to the weblist called "IDM" and occasionally enjoy the discussions there, because I like some of the artists who get lassoed into that category (not to mention that we, occasionally, are lumped into that category too), and because you can occasionally find out about interesting records on that list... Matmos is IDM if that only means "might be talked about on the IDM list"- but I don't endorse that term "intelligent dance music" because it's laughable. Rather Interesting Records had a nice slogan that kind of says it all: "Remember: Only Stupid People Call It "Intelligent"."

:lol:

January 15th, 2010, 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

Right. Especially when hearing noise live, the harsher stuff, you find your own rhythms. If you want. Or you can just enjoy the complete lack of control, the complete chaos, which I enjoy more.

Yeah, when I saw Merzbow live, there were rhythms and there was chaos (complete lack of control). From the starting to the ending point of the set, it was impossible to get more rhythmical than chaotic or more chaotic than rhythmical. It was a perfect fusion between the two and that made his noise so much powerful. We had the feeling that we were entering into the core of matter only to fitness explosive fusions on an atomic yet macrocosmic scale. I use to say that noisicians are the closest you can get to nuclear physicists.

January 15th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Like Joe Roemer of MACRONYMPHA (leading US harsh noise act established in 1991):

Quote:
More like a mirror we reflect society, some things you might not ordinarily look at. A dark and perversely twisted photo-journalism. Freaks and other like-minded individuals aren't the only people who can look past "-isms" and "-ologies" to find a relevant voice. NOISE is as old as millions of years of volcanic eruption and mountain erosion. The modern industry of metal and machines added more to this mix. All we do is use everything at our disposal to record the true power that had been filling the airwaves since the beginning of time.

Their sounds are the true powers in nature and chaos: violence and fucking.

January 15th, 2010, 6:06 pm
Profile WWW

:D

January 15th, 2010, 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next