View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 5:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 REVIEWS 
Administrator

Man i was thinking when such a thread would (at some point) start on AGM...and (sigh) it has........

first of all, thanx to D. Mon, for diggingt herev of tristwood, which i found and still find a great listen and look forward to more original brutality in the future...also kudos for saying the requisite fuk u to racists....i have met my share in the metal world.....especially the hiss ridden BM crap crowd........strangely though old burzum and mayhem albums have a place in my heart when i heard then just as music looong time ago...the politics and juveniltiy of the scene , i found out later

even burzukh reviews get their fair share of racists.....sometimes its hard to tell if they have fault with the music or the fact that im from pakistan

about the AGM revs:
everybody's ace and i look forward to each weeks revs..one of the few sites where just about every other band is orignal and quality...and initially even i asked chrystof about lignano and later came to embrace his idea of the joker in the pack........though it remains that i would never buy (or not buy) an album based on his revs.....but he is friggin original !!!

i in my reviews try to give a measure of the sound of the album,as a work of art and also as a buyable product (god i hate that term)...and to have more license (and get rid of the product bit), i have pointedly tried to feature some bands/artists that give away their music for free........ i just wish i could get in touch with more AGM bands (meaning beside the net) and jam and shoot the shit

November 28th, 2007, 3:24 pm
Profile WWW

blacklava777 wrote:
D.Mon wrote:
On the other side, I don´t want to see a band like Bu**um supported in any way - I bought this album back in the 90´s (yes, I was young...), but when I found out how a stupid asshole this guy is I actually burnt (yes, I´m not kidding, I put it into the cleaning fires!) this CD. Beside that, this record is pure shit. It may be influental, but no to me. Oh yes, maybe it showed me how I should NOT record an album haha!
So IMO, F.O.A.D. Bu**um and especially Varg.
Of course the same goes to NSBM. :!:

mmm, I don't think that an album must be burned for the motives you told.. I usually throw away albums that MUSICALLY are crap. I really don't give a fuck if Burzum is a Nazi/NSBM supporter/piece of shit. If the music is good, is good, I cannot lie to myself.
Expecially cause If you have to burn all the albums recorded by killers, nazi supporters, or bad dudes...I think you have to take the 80% of the musically good black metal discography.

I ask myself what you did to de mysteriis DOM sathanas, with burzum on bass, his accomplice in the murder Snorre Ruch, and the nazicommunist Euronymous...maybe dissolved in the acid? ;)

I do not own this album... :wink:
Of course it´s difficult to sort out albums that are "clean", especially in the Black Metal and/or Pagan Metal genres - but hey, if I do a review or an interview with a band which seem to me not clear if they are NS or whatever, I ask them personally before I do anything to get a real statement - since I and TRISTWOOD/INZEST strongly support Metalheads against Racism dot org.
Anyway, it´s sad that we have to do this, but for me it´s absolutely clear to do that, even it´s hard work sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, obviusly I agree that racism in general is something to defeat and blame. But in the music I prefer to judge the lyrical/music side than the habits of the composer. Focusing on the lyrics of 'Det Some Engang Var', it has no particular indications about racism or politics, it's more Tolkien/Norwegian mythology inspired...so I don't see any motive for not reviewing it;)

November 28th, 2007, 4:06 pm
Profile WWW

Post Way off topic, now...
I think the whole racist/Nazi-Nationalist black metal thing has begun to fade away a bit (hopefully).

The scene politics in general seem to have been toned down more in favor of the sound of the music itself (which is how it should be, anyway).

We are all entitled to our own unique opinions, so long as we do no harm to our other fellow human beings. Unfortunately, the black metal scene's most popular (and often talented) musicians are also religion-hating gay-bashing convicted murderers and arsonists. Kristian Vikernes, Samoth, Jon Nödtveidt, Bard Faust, etc. have all spent time in jail for the above crimes, yet we love their music and support them with our money by buying their albums. What do we do about it?

I don't have that answer. I can only hope that the future of music is less involved with such crimes against our fellow man.

November 28th, 2007, 6:04 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Way off topic, now...
Dimaension X wrote:
I think the whole racist/Nazi-Nationalist black metal thing has begun to fade away a bit (hopefully).

The scene politics in general seem to have been toned down more in favor of the sound of the music itself (which is how it should be, anyway).

We are all entitled to our own unique opinions, so long as we do no harm to our other fellow human beings. Unfortunately, the black metal scene's most popular (and often talented) musicians are also religion-hating gay-bashing convicted murderers and arsonists. Kristian Vikernes, Samoth, Jon Nödtveidt, Bard Faust, etc. have all spent time in jail for the above crimes, yet we love their music and support them with our money by buying their albums. What do we do about it?

I don't have that answer. I can only hope that the future of music is less involved with such crimes against our fellow man.

The paradox is that we all condamn the crimes that those musicians have done, but in part maybe we have been unconsciously (or not) attracted by that music for that facts (I think expecially the mayhem stories).

November 28th, 2007, 7:45 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

The nazi shit just started growing in croatia, but the bands are afraid co admit it yet....all swastikas and pagan names but no confession...sunwheels are ok , swastikas are not

November 28th, 2007, 9:21 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

I myself have no moral issues with bands being either extreme right or left wing, nationalist, revolutionairy, extremely misanthropic (wanting to kill everything and everyone, especially kittens and children), fundamentalist, whatever. In real life I can't stand nazis (that is, racial elitism, which is degenerate and retarded - thoughtthrough fascism on the other hand can be quite interesting) nor misogynists (hearing about the gang rape charge against Infernus of Gorgoroth made my stance against them even greater though). However, my biggest problem with NS music is that it with extremely few exceptions suck, big time, that being my main reason not to listen to it. What NSBM bands have in common are, besides politics, the fact that they rarely can play. I like some Burzum, but I was disappointed when buying Det Som Engang Var. Burzum is overrated.

But to quote Darkthrone (Over Berg og Gjennom Torner)...
"Den Norrøne Rase ma Slakte den andre
Nar blamen dunker for tungt pa var dor"
:arrow:
"The Northern Race may/must/shall slaughter/destroy the Other
When blue men (=that is, not white men) pounds to heavily on our door"

Do I support this phrase? No. Do I support this band? To the death. Double moral to support a band but not a lyric written 13 years ago? I hope so.

And speaking of Mayhem, did not Hellhammer say that Black Metal wasn't for black people (that is, black-skinned, not black-souled)? And didn't Necrobutcher pose in front of a giant swastika?

---

On the reviews: I have no problem with Lignano. On the contrary. The reviews I have the biggest problem with are my own. Having an avantgardistic stance when reviewing proposedly avantgardistic music is nice. And it's fun to have a break from the standard AGM.com-review format, as most of the reviews here have a quite similar shape (mine included). Even though Ligg Ner Nå's reviews tell me little of albums unheard to me, I don't mind. If the cover looks interesting I can find reviews elsewhere.

---

And another disclaimer, just for precaution. I do NOT support racially based fascism, nor racial elitism. Nationalism is most often dumb, since a nation is based on politics, rather than culture. This however does rarely inflict upon my judgement of a band, since I think that music transcends the message, regardless of the nature of the message.
(and NSBM is a contradiction, since NS means to care for the well-being of specific parts of humanity - selective humanism - whereas BM cannot be for the well-being of any general group of people.)

November 29th, 2007, 11:00 am
Profile WWW

I like some Burzum, but I was disappointed when buying Det Som Engang Var. Burzum is overrated.

Don't forget to to temporally put that album in 1994..and most of that songs are older;) In my opinion Hvis / Det Som / Filosofem are simply great, Filosofem in particular, really different to the other early nineties stuff in norway.

however...De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum;)

November 29th, 2007, 11:14 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

I like all the Burzums except Det som engang var...

November 29th, 2007, 11:35 am
Profile WWW

to avoid: why don't you review "Virus - Carheart" too:P?

I really love your VBE one!

November 29th, 2007, 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

On BURZUM: I like War and My Journey To The Stars. Well, most of the Burzum/Aske-stuff. And like half of the DSEV songs. He should have only released EPs. And of course I Heimr Heljar from Daudi Baldrs, the first Burzum song I heard.

Blacklava: I might just as well give a shot at molesting Carheart too when my exams are done in two weeks. Thanks for the kudos man!

[np: Death SS - Where Have You Gone?]

"Slaughter! Illness! Death!
War! A.I.D.S.! Drugs!
Fanatics! Priests! Bombs!
You don't care!

No! No! No! No! No!
This is not the way to go
The World needs your love!
Where have you gone?"

November 30th, 2007, 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Somehow each thread concerning NS-aspects goes out of hand... But as it has already started, there are some thoughts I want to reveal as well.
In my opinion we (the writers) should carefully wage when reviewing bands who have a supportive attitude towards NS-stuff. I´d rather not review these, even if that means leaving out the album of the century (hahaha... as said before most NSBM-bands can´t play so that´s unlikely ever to happen).
On the other hand I don´t mind lignano reviewing Burzum although I wouldn´t agree on the avantgardism of exactly this album. Burzum is the only BM-band linked with NS ideologies which had an undisputable impact on Black Metal back then. Like it or not, but knowing (I don´t say liking!) this band is essential for understanding Black Metal the way it was/is. The responsible listener should be mature enough to seperate the music from the superhuman tibetan alien ramblings of a convicted murderer with too much time in jail.
Btw, Suleiman- I wonder why you state "The six millions reconsidered" as one of your favorite books? That kind of puzzles me.

Back to the topic: I feel honoured to be a part of AGM- as I understand it we have something unique here; a site which is clearly dedicated to what it propagates, and that is not only due to us being picky about our reviews.
So what do the readers think- has the goal to present the avantgardistic moments of Metal history been achieved (I am aware of the fact that some essential albums are still missing, but overall)?
And Chrystof- has this become what the founders had in mind? I´m curious :wink:

November 30th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

Post regarding aVoid's Celtic Frost review
back on the "review" track!

aVoid's review of "Into the Pandemonium" is right on track, ... this was a very experimental album which is still controversial today to most dunderhead-metalheads who can't listen to music unless it is only "trve kvlt" or "broooootal".

I also agree that even though it is their most experimental and avant garde, "To Mega-Therion" is more consistent and better overall. The guitar solos are just not as good, and the "over-the-top" operatic vocals stick out just a little too much, whereas in "To Mega-Therion" they were mixed a bit better and fit into the scheme of things better.

We have yet to see another great album like these two, that take chances and are perhaps too far ahead of their time to be fully appreciated until the fans themselves mature.

December 2nd, 2007, 10:32 pm
Profile WWW

talking about aVoid... why his review of age of silence was so negative.. . i wouldn't mind hearing 10 more albums of them and never get tired of lazare's vocals, they're great... one of my favorite metal singers.

[and nick-A is not "an analogy to the extreme metal movement, led by Old Nick"... Nick-A = Nikkei is a stock market index in the Tokyo Stock Exchange....if my memory doesnt fool me the same Andy Winter said it in a forum xD]

im not complaining just makin an observation xD

December 3rd, 2007, 5:08 am
Administrator

TENTAKEL P your points about burzum and the agm site's purpose are well taken, but do u really want a justifictaion of my reading habist on this threat...if so : 6 million reconsidered was one of the first books to bravely question what turned out to be one of biggest historical swindles of the last century (only dwarfed by the scam job called 911 in this century)...and discussed a point of view that was crushed whenever it was voiced and typically thrown into a book-burning pile called anti-semitism...do not type cast books withtou going through them with an unbiased view...and distinguish between zionism and judaism.(just like Neitzian thought is NOT nazism)..i hoped i have removed some of your puzzlement...please if you want to further discuss this PM me

December 3rd, 2007, 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

sorry about that last post...ma bad :oops:

anyways, i enjoy the variety of reviews and writing styles on the site...and i beleive it has gone some way in marking the progress of avant garde metal...though some major albums are left to reviewed....

December 3rd, 2007, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next