View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Cold.Void.Emanations. - Arrivals and discussion 

Duly noted, misread. An enlightening read at any rate.

January 23rd, 2010, 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

Fäulnis - Gehirn zwischen Wahn und Sinn CD
Zusammenschnitt : musically speaking is consistent/stong black metal album, with a definite epic, diverse tempos, vocal approach I enjoy very much... the trailer from Letharg - Der Film is sort of a crash-course into many things, one gets addicted to such 01:11, yet Zusammenschnitt has a repeat-priority

http://www.sickblackart.de/letharg.html

imho really worthy band

January 24th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Agreed, I found myself spinning the CD a dozen times in a couple weeks (which is very good, considering the amount of CDs I get...).
Great band, no doubt.

January 24th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Profile WWW

Ascended - Temple of Dark Offerings MC
Absolutely sick and morbid Finnish Death Metal; eerie, atmospheric, yet brutal and livid, Ascended strikes from the crypt. Hard.
Listen here.

Bone Fragments - Dark Amusement CD
Bone Fragments brings innovation in a clustered and suffocating milieu, merging dark Black Metal with eerie circus music, think Bethlehem meeting dreary carnival tunes, making Stephen King's It seem like a harmless puppy. I can definitely hear some Windir influences as well, in the rythm/melodic epic leads patterns. Clowns... killing and maiming.
Listen and cry here.

Palace Of Worms - The Forgotten CD
Now this is a hard one. Extremely innovative yet coherent Black Metal from the US, PoW is Balan's outlet for scorn and death. The fuzzy sound uncovers epic atmospheric Black Metal, with progressive and Doom influences present. Solid release for a pleasant listen.
Listen here.

January 28th, 2010, 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

I've heard the name Menace Ruine a long time ago and I haven't listened to "The Die Is Cast" until recently. Absolutely awesome work. An interview on http://pitchfork.com/features/show-no-m ... -no-mercy/

Menace Ruine are a black metal/dark ambient band duo from Montreal. They released the excellent Cult of Ruins on Alien8 this past March and have a mellower, neo-folk-style (but still plenty heavy) album The Die Is Cast out on that same label in mid-October. At times the new one sounds like a rangier Nico fronting early Swans (Geneviève handles the vocals this time). There's a more extended use of drone as well as Eastern influences and various strains of chilly spiraling noise in the backdrop (for instance, 16-minute closer "The Bosom of The Earth" would appeal to fans of both Harmony In Ultraviolet, the Angelic Process, and submerged blast beats). Like the first record, it's great. I spoke with members S. and Geneviève via email.

Pitchfork: You released your first demo on Tour de Garde then went with Alien8 for your full-lengths. The black metal realm/scene can be pretty purist about imprints and affiliations. What was it like going with a label not usually associated with the genre? I imagine it opened some doors, closed some others. Or has it not been an issue?

S.: We would never pigeon-hole ourselves to a one particular genre, so we didn't really think too much about it. Obviously there's a huge black metal influence and that explains our affiliation with Tour de Garde, but at the same time the overlapping genres within our music makes it possible to go well with Alien8, a label that has been puting out all kinds of underground music, from Japanoise to psychrock.

Pitchfork: Between the aforementioned Tour de Garde (and Akitsa), you guys, Forteresse, Ghast, Utlagr, Neige & Noirceur, there's a lot going on with black/dark metal in Quebec. What about the province has inspired that?

S.: Quebec has always been a metal territory, but in the 90s BM wasn't well-represented. That's surprising because there's always been an ongoing nationalist vibe among the Francophones, and winters are pretty rough-- those are elements favorable to the production of grim and atmospheric metal

Pitchfork: Cult of Ruins came out mid-March, The Die Is Cast is out in October. The sound is quite differnet. I'm curious if you've written any new material after recording The Die Is Cast. If so, is there another shift?

S.: In the near future expect raw and unpolished industrial BM.

Geneviève: For us, The Die Is Cast is not really a shift, and even less a new direction. The sonic difference was not deliberate since the form always has to be in step with the nature of the work. We consider our three releases very related to each other though.

The material we are working on these days will seem like another "shift" compared to The Die Is Cast-- keeping some of the martial elements, but [staying] quite close to Cult, for the aggression. Anyway, it always comes from the same core, which I hope is evident.

Pitchfork: The core connection is evident, but outside that core it's taken on a different feeling/sound. As you say, it's less aggressive. I'm curious how The Die Is Cast took on this form. Was it motivated by the subject matter?

Geneviève: The lyrics came first and then the voice and music. [It's] the same instrumentation as usual but used a little differently since the music here is more a support for the voice than what we do normally. The melodies inspired the medieval percussion, martial snare, horn solos...the form really happened by itself, the "new sound" was not premeditated.

Pitchfork: One non-sonic difference I noticed between the two most recent releases are the song titles. Cult includes references to the Egregore, Wyrd, and atavism. Lyrically, it seemed more outwardly occult/spiritual. Are you still interested in these notions of fate and collective thought? I can see fate in the idea of "the die is cast," but I'm curious about the overall attitude of the album.

Geneviève: The themes are the same, but seen closer, as in a magnifying glass. As with everything we look at closely, it's more abstract, more open to interpretation. So yes, the titles are less explicit. But, in spite of the title, fate is not exactly the central theme, since I believe that nothing is fixed, that everything we do determines the course of the future. Cult of Ruins was more an observation of disaster-- a consequence of the "lack of consciousness" of humankind-- and the main feeling is desolation. A first solution was a return to basics in the physical plane, but making a cult of ruins is not very trendy these days, since everything is so disposable.... The Die Is Cast, I think, goes a step further; it's a renouncement album, the solution being to let go of anything related to earthly matters and try to survive mostly in another plane. The die that is being cast here is cast by the person him or herself.

Pitchfork: I'd like to pick up this thread: "The solution being to let go of anything related to earthly matters and try to survive mostly in another plane..." How does one approach this? I'm curious about dealing with a "cult of ruins" in an urban setting. Do you ever want to escape the city for something more rural?

Geneviève: The ideal would be to live on a strictly energetic plane. I have this kind of crazy quest of non-being-- reality is too brutal to deal with most of the time, but it's a tricky game.

My way is to put distance between me and the world and allow myself not to be there (i.e., where I am) all the time...to live more on what is coming from the inside with the least earthly preoccupations possible, which in the end makes you a pretty abstract person, but I guess this way, less damage is done. We have way too much power over the world, we are very dangerous creatures. Ruins are places of power, full of pure energy. They are very soothing. There are not many ruins to deal with in Montreal, unfortunately...but I don't think I could survive very long in a rural environment....

Pitchfork: I just did an interview with Bahimiron, who also include a female member. There's Velvet Cacoon, of course, and maybe some would count Jarboe's work with Cobalt or look backwards to Thorr's Hammer, but in general, there aren't that many women associated with black or war metal these days. Have you had to deal with any preconceptions or whatever from within the scene?

Geneviève: I never think of myself as a female in a band, and no one within that realm has ever made me reconsider my presence either! They rather seem to enjoy the dark feminine energies.

Pitchfork: Gary at Alien8 mentioned your upcoming project with Merzbow. He said you're connected via your veganism, which seems to be the impetus for the project. How did this come about? Will the resulting release have an outwardly vegan theme to it?

Geneviève: Merzbow is very passionate about his veganism and so are we. He asked Gary a few years ago to put him in contact some day with a vegan metal band. We are very excited about the project. We are just at the beginning of the process and cannot say much for now, but our guess is that the vegan theme will be pretty clear.

Pitchfork: Speaking of Merzbow: There's an interesting overlap between noise and black metal right now...I feel like it's something happening especially in North America.

S.: I agree, more and more projects are melding the primitive and raw aspects of black metal with harsh noise, and in some cases it's totally working. Nihilism, totalitarian imagery, and misanthropy have always been there in both genres, and I think this overlap is positive for both genres. I find that Mikko Aspa (Finland) and D. Fernow (U.S.), with their respective projects and record labels are the best examples of that overlap. One of the best aspects of this hybrid is the fact that it seems to be bringing some power back to the noise scene.

February 6th, 2010, 11:45 pm

However, I think the Black Metal influences in The Die Is Cast are less obvious, hidden in the atmosphere. What I do feel is a Chthonic force, a sort of heathen call, austere and yet majestic. The musical field is atypical as well: analog synths passing through guitar amps, industrial/tribal drum beats and haunting chants; recipe for uniqueness.

February 7th, 2010, 2:35 am
Profile WWW

Seen the band live twice here in Montreal. They're better on cd. I must say I prefer Cult of Ruins but the next one should be something big.

February 7th, 2010, 2:46 am
Profile WWW

A new bunch of heterogeneous items for February:

Aurvandil / WSSAMS - Nightlings split 3″ CD-r
6 spontaneous, old instrumental tracks, heavily melodic and rock-influenced.
Listen here and there.

Brobdingnagian - Pretty Magoo CD
This Brobdingnagian band plays (?) some extremely excruciating form of experimental Black Metal. Mixing it with extreme noise patterns and bemusing a-musical textures.
Listen here.

Helslakt - Glu et Cul MC
Helslakt strikes back with yet another rehearsal tape, very limited for its own good. Helslakt evolves in a different sphere, one of purely decadent, scornful and hysteric BLACK Metal. New patterns are being wrought here, aeons of lustful contempt await.
Listen here.

Menace Ruine - In Vulva Infernum MC (restock)
As we were talking about earlier: here's the debut demo of Menace Ruine, a great exercise in breaking musical borders. First steps in drone rivers, Black Metal and Doomscapes.
Listen here.

Occulto Mortualia - Sacrum Crudelis öv Saitan MC
Occult Mortualia is a very discreet and underground two-piece crafting occult, religious and cryptic ambiance, through eerie acoustics, bells, and ominous chants. This cassette features a single epic track of Satanic might.

Occulto Mortualia - Pièce III -IMMVI-VII MC
Ongoing its dark journey, Occulto Mortualia deliver here two tracks of scornful might, another step in occult ambiance.

Svart - Vanära, Vanmakt och Avsmak MC
After a rather solid demo, the Swedish Svart releases a long outdue debut album of Black Metal, leaning on depressive, but settling on cynicism and fatalism. To my ears, it's sort of a Black Metal equivalent of early Katatonia: entrancing, droning, but bleaker. Very negative and nice indeed, albeit conventional.
Listen here.

Warmarch - Pactum Cum Diabolus MC (restock)
Classic and mighty Black Metal, a total riff-fest.
Listen here.

Last edited by jb on February 25th, 2011, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

February 16th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Profile WWW

A very eccentric review for Savnock's Theophany (French):

Un phénomène ténu émerge, projette son empreinte et altère le néant, cet étant insondé. Des clochettes grelottent, scintillent faiblement ; œuvre des profondeurs d'où pointe une harmonique. Frémissement : césure crevant la surface, plaintives réfractions d'ombres dormantes. Acte originel, liberté insondable ! Darde alors l'épine d'un désir, sans motif autre que son propre saisissement, en deux de ses propriétés. Et ce, dès la prime conflagration des toutes premières notes.

Aussitôt, l'aiguillon pénètre, perfore et irrite le premier principe, qui est dur, minéral et renfermé en lui-même. Mouvement, persévérance, simultanément se font entendre. D'amples et chaotiques reliefs s'élèvent, saccadent d'un hermétisme impénétrable ; se propagent, se délient, puis syncopent enfin, ondes ignées au feu insatiable, embrasement de froides radiances qui sonnent, résonnent d'un grain millénaire. Douloureusement. Comme si la blême lumière avait, de son empreinte, imprimé aux riffs cette tension au quelque chose ; tandis que les obscurs motifs se meuvent, se gonflent, et, se rétractant en leurs propres colères, souffrent d'un mal par-delà toutes valeurs.

D'assauts mercuriels compénétrant le sel de dissonances figées, d'angoissantes, sulfureuses plages de distorsions ambiant en irradiants abîmes, éclats solaires d'aigus aux violons ; la dissolution du néant qui les voit naître, croître et se développer se fait coalescence, futile transmutation, harmonie et discorde mêlées, compaction tragique, arbitraire de principes opposés. Si double est la face de Dieu, si ambigües sont bien les forces générant son processus, ainsi voit-on SAVNOCK creuser derechef les rides d'un Janus Bifron, décliner d'un seul souffle Black Metal comme Dark Ambiant, gouffres minimalistes où s'échoue l'esprit, méditant aux sources d'un tel dévoilement.

Ravins tortueux au nihilisme analogue -quoique plus mélodique, gorgé de basses et longuement construit- à celui d'un BLUT AUS NORD période "The Work Which Transforms God". Difficile affirmation qui mériterait quelques nuances, quand bien même la catastrophe cosmogonique de l'un réponde à celle de l'autre, comme d'une conjonction défiant les écarts géographiques.

Doué d'une écriture à la fluidité rare, organique, et n'omettant aucune emphase atmosphérique dans ses surimpositions de leads acérés, c'est moins au marionnettiste dément qu'à l'envol extatique du danseur, aux infaillibles pointes d'Orion que le groupe renvoie. Arcs mélodiques tendus, notes fusant au point de la cadence juste ; contrepoint sonnant aux membranes de l'âme, écho qu'une voix, profond et indistinct grommellement démiurgique, nourrit. Résurgence : Tobias Möckl sur un certain "Schattengang" (PAYSAGE D'HIVER) l'avait ainsi modulée, pour un effet Death analogue.

Pas de danse à la rythmique apeurante, explosions orbitales en surplomb des gouffres ; voûtes tendues au dessus des profondeurs, dont les courbes, les arches et les longs progressismes semblent signifier la fatale théogonie. Comme d'un Être, vase clos du devenir, engendré du Non-Créé. Las ! Que son nom soit Ré, né du Noûn, ou Dieu voulu de l'Ungrund, l'abîme originel, l'Indéterminé, quelle tragédie que ces mondes, ces consciences par suite inoculées du sein de l'Existant !

Car le ton, âpre et dur, tandis ce que les guitares, pugnaces, convulsent sur fond de batterie free-jazz, gonflent de nostalgie leurs voiles et tirent, note à note, l'angoisse des fins montée de l'origine ; le ton dis-je, prendrait une toute autre dimension : de l'altération originelle surviendrait l'aliénation, d'une conscience humaine bourgeonnante, pensée aux faillibles prolongements. Ses fleurs ? Bris du langage, essor de certitudes scientifiques, noétique, fruit d'une finitude trop humaine ! Est-ce là l'origine du malaise, tandis ce que les guitares cardent, filent et brodent, à même la toile d'un pessimisme gnoséologique, trames de mélopées et regrets d'un Ailleurs ?

Fadaise artistique ?

Cuistrerie du chroniqueur ?

Ou donation musicale d'un sens possiblement plus haut ?

Quoiqu'il en soit, toute illumination, aussi géniale soit-elle, ne laisse pas dévoiler ses failles, ses limites. Comme la vanité du langage qui, tel une courbe asymptotique, se rapproche mais n'atteint jamais l'essence du phénomène, SAVNOCK commet quelques bêtises, détails d'un mixage distrait, émail d'un tableau manquant de peu la transfiguration. Un final en fade out au piano, coupé bien trop tôt. Une plage Dark Ambiant aux diffractions tressautant brièvement. Enfin, une batterie mixée un poil trop en avant sur la première piste.

Crotte, pogne, catastrophe ! Réjouissez-vous, hommes du détail, oui, vous, besogneux analystes dont l'horizon se limite à l'œillère de vos monocles ! Voilà bien matière à gloser pour vos groins inquisiteurs !

Car qu'on se le dise : seule une mauvaise foi alliée à la pire des mesquineries relativisera une musique de cette portée. La relativité entendue ; ce merveilleux ingrédient du pédant dont la prudente componction n'a d'égal que son étroitesse d'esprit, fait si bien le sel de la critique solipsiste que tout le monde semble s'en être accommodé. A l'époque où la mort de l'art se confond avec la vie du discours esthétique, de la culture séparatrice, où nulle attente de sens venant de la musique ne se fait jour, j'estime nécessaire -et idéaliste, ô combien !- de nier joyeusement l'air du temps en couronnant, entre autres musiciens, ce potentiel en devenir.

C'est dit : puisse SAVNOCK connaître une plus grande reconnaissance. Ces Américains le méritent, tout simplement.

http://metal.nightfall.fr/index_8380_sa ... -2009.html

February 27th, 2010, 10:45 pm
Profile WWW

I was about to propose to translate this to english, but the vocabulary used is highly exentrical, so sorry, I pass ^^

February 28th, 2010, 12:15 am
Profile WWW

Not only the vocabulary, but also the way sentences are put together.
I could do it, but I'm overwhelmed by laziness right now.

February 28th, 2010, 10:54 am
Profile WWW

Claws - Absorbed in the Nethervoid LP

Claws - The Funeral Barge EP
Claws plays som of the heaviest and sickest Finnish Death Metal I've ever heard. Abyssic, brooding, menacing, and fucking uncompromising. Be crushed now.
Listen here.

Hooded Menace / Anima Morte - Split picEP
Gloom and Doom meet in a graveyard. People die in silence. Other crawl in pain. This EP is essentially instrumental frightening Doom ambience. High quality.
Listen here.

Realm of Chaos - Leaders of Pain MC
Realm of Chaos - The Demos MC
This young band from Denmark is heavily influenced by Bolt Thrower, as you can easily guess. They merge their martial British influences with Swedish käng/crustcore, for a rather intense and nefarious Deathcrust attack.
Listen here.

March 7th, 2010, 9:24 pm
Profile WWW

VOID8 - Aurvandil - Ferd MC
Northbound journey in Atmospheric Black Metal. Some of you might be aware that this project is my own catharsis. 42 minutes of harsh, blizzard-like Black Metal, featuring cello interludes by Bram (Irrwisch) and eerie ambiance by GrimSpirit (Evilfeast).
Listen here.

VOID9 - The Arrival Of Satan - Vexing Verses MC
A new code for hysteria, hatred and virulence. Pro-void Black Metal.
Listen here.

Murmuüre - Murmuüre MC
A study in harmonic noisescapes and Black Metal ambiance.
Listen here.

March 9th, 2010, 7:24 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Bone Fragments - Dark Amusement CD

awesome. though i hate clowns.

March 9th, 2010, 7:38 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

I don't really like those either, but I like Bone Fragments all right, hehe.

March 9th, 2010, 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next