View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Metal with piano? 
Administrator

Post Metal with piano?
As from a bizarre synchronicity, Adryuu (I think) asked for Death Metal featuring piano riffs in the thread about Gorguts, at approximately the same time as I came to think of what bands there are using piano as an integral part of their sound.

So what bands are there using the piano - not just keyboards in general, but focussing on the unique timbral & rhythmical dimensions of the instrument? Where the piano is as important for the music as the guitar is, not just one-off piano ballads (like, say, early Anathema)? WINDS is the only name that I come up with at the moment. ARCTURUS, SOLEFALD and BAL-SAGOTH use piano sounds on their keyboards very often, but with Sverd, Lazare and Johnny Maulding, the piano sound is equalled with for example organs or horns, it's not "just" a piano - the guys mentioned are not necessarily pianists, but keyboardists.

So are there any bands like this? I mean, a well played piano could be definitely as versatile as a guitar, playing equally dark riffs and chords and harmonies. And I want it to be some kind of metal, or very heavy music - there are shitloads of dark piano music elsewhere, from Schubert and Satie and Scriabin to... Anthony & the Johnsons, or sth, but I want metal, and I want it dark (no goth cheese, please).

August 24th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Hm, maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot would perhaps satisfy me sometimes? Any song recommendations from them with piano?

August 24th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Yeah, I came to think of the piano DM thing some time ago while listening to Resurrection on the background while playing around with the keys of my midi keyboard with a piano synth and realized that it produce a nice texture sometimes.

To add some, I'd say definitely Winds (although not always) and then Age of Silence, but here the weird synths are more present than the piano, that is more focused on arrangements and solos. Anyway Winds is more like a neoclassical thing, and a lot of piano parts don't feature full metal madness. I guess it's just difficult to pick both guitar and piano without removing protagonism from one of them.

Then, I try, in a humble way, to make some heavy music directed by piano, but I tend to make riffs that sound too guitarish and to distort the piano (and sounds too metal), but the objective is to make riffs that could not easily be played on guitar but well on piano. Disclaimer: if curious please keep in mind that I'm no piano virtuoso or even have had piano lessons, no talk about real pianos even cheap wall ones. :lol:

In fact, I've wanted, for some time now, to make a metal band with non-metal instruments, be it synthetic drums, distorted (or not) piano (or clave or whatever), and synths and stuff recreating heavy atmospheres. So one could extend this thread to metal with alternative instruments, or metal cannot exist without distorted guitars?

Last edited by Adryuu on August 24th, 2009, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 24th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Hmmmmm... metal and piano, metal and piano... browsing through my collection I don't see anything that jumps out at me that has a substantial inclusion of piano. There's Hollenthon with the inclusion of a symphony that sometimes takes precedence over the metal, but no piano in any of their songs that I can remember. Hmmm... Faith No More? I dunno, not really metal, and they didn't always use piano. Dødheimsgard on various pieces. December Wolves on a single song from 'Til Ten Years (but that was more folksy).

Wow, I expected to find more honestly. Piano is such a dynamic instrument, I'm surprised it hasn't found its way into more bands arsenals.

I did find this browsing Youtube one day a few months ago: http://www.ercorea.blogspot.com/. This person does covers of metal songs with piano, some of them are quite beautiful. My favorite is the Where Dead Angels Lie cover, it just sounds downright eerie and terrifying.

August 24th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Administrator

It's hard, isn't it? I came to think of it last evening, I had just listened to VBE - Written in Waters, and then I misheard something from the TV which in my ears sounded like some randomly played dissonant chords, and I thought, "hey, that would make really beautiful weird metal!".

Metal without distorted guitars? Perhaps not metal per se, but heavy rock music can definitely do without much of a guitar. UNIVERS ZERO came pretty far with their chamber rock; bassoon, oboe, violin, drums and electric bass. Heresie is as heavy as a lot of doom metal, acoustic instruments can give quite a crunchy sound. Piano definitely. Even an almost all acoustic band like NARR (ac.guit and el.bass) can have a pretty heavy sound. But I'd prefer to restrict "metal" to music with distorted guitars, and have "rock" more open.

August 24th, 2009, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW

I would only name drop Korova's 'A Kiss in the Charnel Fields' ("Latin Dream in Turpentine" and possibly others), 'Echoworld' ("Neonbuster Tritonwings (Cloudslasher 1982) and I remember other experimentations) and 'Dead like an Angel' ("Our Reality Dissolves" as well as on the bonus song "Tantra-Nove-HyperCannibalism" there are extremely insane pianos all over the place but hidden in the background and appearing only once in a while, to a strange and subliminal effect).

August 25th, 2009, 12:21 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

true, Korova had a lot of that, here and there. But unfortunately not as thoroughly as I'm looking for atm...

But OK, piano used on the scale of BAL-SAGOTH - Of Carnage & A Gathering Of Wolves or ARCTURUS' The Sham Mirrors, that I'm in for.

SCHOLOMANCE had a lot of piano... perhaps other early The End bands? Isn't Andy Winter in one of those bands these days, like SCULPTURED or sth?

August 25th, 2009, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Yep, Winter is in Sculptured or at least was in the album, but that one is also very guitarish I think, and some synth here and there. There's of course some good piano madness too, but not what I was asking for either.

I think that piano riffing in metal has not yet been really developed, only experimented in pieces of songs.

By the way, that dude who plays Katatonia/MDB/Dissection tunes in piano does it quite well, the Where dead angels lie cover is indeed cool. Haven't heard though the majority of In Flames/Dark Tranquility stuff.

August 25th, 2009, 12:03 pm
Administrator

There was a croatian band named Dissection in the late 80s early 90s playing technical death with a jazzy like pianio...they changed their name into Aeon

August 25th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator

Haha, unlucky choices of names for that Croatian band... always a bunch of Swedes coming after & becoming bigger, stealing their names. Sounds interesting though! Are there any releases available today, anywhere?

August 25th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW

Xasthur uses grand piano on its last album, 'All Reflections Drained', and so does Nortt on a couple of albums. Maybe not like Arcturus or Bal-Sagoth do it but I was told they both do it in an interesting way. Also, Black Boned Angel uses piano on 'Bliss And Void Inseparable' and Birchville Cat Motel does use it on one of its few metal songs, on the album 'Chi Vampire' - the song is the fourth one, also called Chi Vampire.

August 26th, 2009, 7:46 pm
Profile WWW

I don't want to be .. but whatever I'll say it :
Decoryah in their first "Wisdom floats" have this guy who lately appears in the guest musicians credits. he is the fourth member in the fist album's booklet, if I'm not wrong Valtonen was his name ... his is an extraordinary not only in one instrumental but also throughout the album,

August 27th, 2009, 11:42 pm

piano can be found in Saturnus - Veronika Decides to Die

August 29th, 2009, 7:43 am
Administrator

Haha, unlucky choices of names for that Croatian band... always a bunch of Swedes coming after & becoming bigger, stealing their names. Sounds interesting though! Are there any releases available today, anywhere?

I'll try to find some, there's allways something available for download

oh 4 piano don't forget to check Peccatum :p

August 29th, 2009, 9:36 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Decoryah is a band I've always wanted to hear. Heard mp3s of an old EP, and they sucked terribly; awful production. Albums though, would be very more interesting.

Peccatum is one of those gothic metal bands that I can except fully. Seems like you have to be in a BM band before doing Gothic to get my respect (Ava Inferi's last album is wonderful!).

August 29th, 2009, 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next