View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:50 pm



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Until the Light Takes Us 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: July 18th, 2009, 8:21 pm
Posts: 71
Post Until the Light Takes Us
----------


Last edited by fvnTom cat on October 31st, 2011, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.



July 6th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm
Posts: 207
Post 
The whole performance art thing with Frost at the end was just laughably unbearable.

Way too much focus on Gylve and Varg... telling the same story everyone has already heard a million times.

But, could there ever be a documentary on extreme metal that does not focus on the story of Burzum and Mayhem?


July 6th, 2010, 2:58 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:45 pm
Posts: 2511
Post 
eunichron wrote:
But, could there ever be a documentary on extreme metal that does not focus on the story of Burzum and Mayhem?


There definitely should be!


July 6th, 2010, 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: July 4th, 2007, 10:45 pm
Posts: 2511
Post 
My question would be - why do we still have to talk about that murder, 17 years later? To me this murder is more like a self-serving myth for both Mayhem and Burzum and nothing else. Some guy killed another guy - alright, this happens every day. The same goes for the Church Burnings, which were done by naive teenagers who didn't really know why they were doing that (!). Therefore every documentary focusing on that has failed.

The other thing would be - why do we have to talk about Darkthrone, Mayhem and Burzum, regarding Extreme metal at large, as if they were representative of something? They've had their importance, I'm not here to deny that - but nowadays, they're 3 bands in a pool of thousands of bands which are equally good if not better. Also, who is more boring to listen to, than Hellhammer, Necro-Butcher, Fenriz and Varg? The first 3 are your typical metalheads and the latter is, well, you all know what he is hehe. There must be so many more interesting individuals in the scene to interview and to represent Norwegian black metal or even Extreme metal at large. Therefore every documentary focusing on these 3 bands has failed.

That's why I think that Until The Light Takes Us has failed as a documentary. It was way too obvious how the film-makers weren't there during the nineties and have only bought their idea of Black metal I don't know where, but certainly not at the source. They're like strangers visiting a land and interviewing only a bunch of celebrities there to know more about the land itself. Mistake!


July 9th, 2010, 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm
Posts: 207
Post 
Oliver Side wrote:
My question would be - why do we still have to talk about that murder, 17 years later? To me this murder is more like a self-serving myth for both Mayhem and Burzum and nothing else. Some guy killed another guy - alright, this happens every day. The same goes for the Church Burnings, which were done by naive teenagers who didn't really know why they were doing that (!). Therefore every documentary focusing on that has failed.

The other thing would be - why do we have to talk about Darkthrone, Mayhem and Burzum, regarding Extreme metal at large, as if they were representative of something? They've had their importance, I'm not here to deny that - but nowadays, they're 3 bands in a pool of thousands of bands which are equally good if not better. Also, who is more boring to listen to, than Hellhammer, Necro-Butcher, Fenriz and Varg? The first 3 are your typical metalheads and the latter is, well, you all know what he is hehe. There must be so many more interesting individuals in the scene to interview and to represent Norwegian black metal or even Extreme metal at large. Therefore every documentary focusing on these 3 bands has failed.

That's why I think that Until The Light Takes Us has failed as a documentary. It was way too obvious how the film-makers weren't there during the nineties and have only bought their idea of Black metal I don't know where, but certainly not at the source. They're like strangers visiting a land and interviewing only a bunch of celebrities there to know more about the land itself. Mistake!


These were exactly my qualms with it. It is like every film maker and historian writing about this genre has to cover the same old story as if it were the defining aspect of the genre, as if it did not exist outside of the '92-'93 time period. It is kind of ridiculous that here we are 17 years later and all people still care about are Mayhem v. Burzum; featuring Fenriz.

What about all the other forms of extreme metal that existed before that era? The American Death Metal scene, the evolution of Swedish Death Metal out of the 80s crust/punk scene... NSBM, USBM (though that would be a bit boring since most of it is just a ripoff of BM already mentioned). The rise of Norwegian Black Metal to cultural acceptance in Europe. What about all of the artists that are still around today that existed then? I'm sure the crews of Emperor, Enslaved, DHG/VBE etc. have something interesting to say, especially since they are individuals that you rarely hear from. Shamaatae especially has given some pretty great interviews, I'd love to see him share some thoughts.

Perhaps it is time that AVG.com pools its resources together and delivers its own video documentary. :wink:


July 10th, 2010, 7:18 am
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Posts: 3762
Location: Southern Sweden
Post 
I haven't seen the movie, but isn't it just your average "getting into BM discovering the common myths"-type fandom, but instead of 16yr-old metalheads it's a couple of American documentarists? just another commodification of BM culture. goddamn museum... get on with it. don't they know that today it's all about WATAIN? you don't need anything BM except WATAIN! (sarcasmiasma)

_________________
REDAKTÖR'N


July 13th, 2010, 11:13 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: August 5th, 2007, 1:26 am
Posts: 1522
Location: Hamburg
Post 
Uh, WATAIN. I'll add some miasmasarcasma here. Nice Metal.de - interview, for those who can understand it. Mediocre band with slight attacks of distorted reality - they seem to have the opinion that their newest output is a classic for eternity. Well, I guess if you are not able to write interesting music you have to at least have a megalomaniac complex. Sad thing is everyone hops onto that train and says yes and amen just because they are Norwegian. Nothing against Norwegians, friends - but on topic: Leave the past alone, there are much more interesting things since the last decade than stories we all have heard a zillion times before. Yawn. Smells like $$$-making, or so it seems.

_________________
"The perfect world is a journey, not a place".
- Locaha, god of death in Terry Pratchett´s "Nation"


July 13th, 2010, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm
Posts: 207
Post 
Hey, I like Watain. :?


July 13th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: August 5th, 2007, 1:26 am
Posts: 1522
Location: Hamburg
Post 
Why, you may. To each his own.

It´s just that I dislike people who have to tell people how great they are (which WATAIN did - I mean, wtf, the artists doesn´t make classics, history does, and I doubt WATAIN will pass that test), even when there are always other opinions. For me, they do nothing new, and this not even good or innovative. But that´s personal taste I guess ;-)

_________________
"The perfect world is a journey, not a place".
- Locaha, god of death in Terry Pratchett´s "Nation"


July 13th, 2010, 2:50 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: July 3rd, 2009, 10:28 pm
Posts: 207
Post 
Heh, no worries. I would be the last Watain fan to say they are anything amazing or groundbreaking. For me they just fill that void of ultra-Satanic extreme metal left by Jon Nödtveidt, and for some reason they are one of the few bands I can listen to at work without my boss getting her panties in a bunch.


July 14th, 2010, 12:58 am
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 4th, 2007, 3:31 pm
Posts: 3762
Location: Southern Sweden
Post 
mind you, WATAIN are Swedes :)
and, as we know, Swedish BM has always been about hybris eclipsing the lovely Norwegians. I mean, we had Dissection, we have Watain and Ofermod (who's crazy - I mean, literally criminally insane), we had Abruptum. Murderous psycho rock stars. What Watain are doing, is referencing their whole record collection - they compose not with their Satanic souls but from their turntables.
Notwithstanding that the new Watain album - barring their sing-along heavy metal choruses - is a good metal album. I give them that.

_________________
REDAKTÖR'N


July 14th, 2010, 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: January 7th, 2010, 11:12 pm
Posts: 151
Location: France
Post 
Tentakel P. wrote:
Uh, WATAIN. I'll add some miasmasarcasma here. Nice Metal.de - interview, for those who can understand it. Mediocre band with slight attacks of distorted reality - they seem to have the opinion that their newest output is a classic for eternity. Well, I guess if you are not able to write interesting music you have to at least have a megalomaniac complex. Sad thing is everyone hops onto that train and says yes and amen just because they are Norwegian. Nothing against Norwegians, friends - but on topic: Leave the past alone, there are much more interesting things since the last decade than stories we all have heard a zillion times before. Yawn. Smells like $$$-making, or so it seems.


Agreed mate. Yawn fucking yawn.

_________________
To Cold Void: http://coldvoidemanations.net/


July 26th, 2010, 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Administrator

Joined: January 9th, 2008, 11:45 am
Posts: 491
Location: My brains (hurts)
Post 
The Watain interview on metal.de is great fun. Laughter guaranteed from the first to the last answer. Besides playing standard metal, these guys obviously tend to fill the rockstar gap more than any satanic gap... naughty boys.

But I can understand Tentakel: with their own crucification to metal mainstream and their silly behaviour they attract many more people than bands who focus on the music instead. Not in each case, but you know what I mean.

_________________
"The biggest mistake to make in life is to fear to make a mistake." (Dietrich Bonhoeffer)


August 6th, 2010, 7:59 am
Profile WWW

Joined: July 14th, 2008, 9:49 am
Posts: 78
Location: USA/Canadian Border
Post Re: Until the Light Takes Us
Oh I love that DVD....I was going through the sound track, and discovered that band MUM. I think they are pretty cool. I also have MUM on the Nordic Days compilation album.

I have that DVD, ha, this website is where I got the recommendation from ha !!!!


October 30th, 2011, 6:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.